As the holidays approach, many people take time away from work to enjoy festivities with family and friends. This can also be a time to prepare and plan for having a liposuction procedure. Because you’ll need time to rest and recuperate from the treatment for a period after, this can be the perfect opportunity to stay at home, catch up on some of your favorite shows, and focus on a safe and healthy recovery.
At Luxe Plastic Surgery, our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Malik Kutty has years of experience helping people tone their figure with liposuction. This procedure is ideal for those who have small pockets of fat around their body that don’t respond to diet and exercise. These troublesome deposits of fat can cause you frustration and embarrassment, but offering various options for liposuction, Dr. Kutty can help you address areas of fat around your body, including:
- Around the face and neck
- Upper arms
- Abdomen, love handles, and mid-back
- Buttocks, hips, and thighs
- Calves, ankles, and knees
- Chest (gynecomastia in men)
When you first decide that liposuction may be an option for you, it’s important to remember that the procedure is not a weight loss solution. Liposuction is meant for those who are looking to eliminate small layers of fat and those who undergo the treatment should be at or near their ideal weight prior to the procedure.
Because this is a surgical procedure, there are many things that you should be aware of and prepare for before and after the procedure. While everyone has different, specific needs they wish to address and the procedures used may vary per person, knowing what to expect and planning ahead will significantly help keep your procedure safe, effective, and aid in your recovery.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Kutty will determine your candidacy for liposuction as well as go over in detail everything you need to know about the procedure. For now, however, the following is a general list of what to know and how to prepare for your procedure:
- Liposuction is best for those who are at or near a healthy weight and is not a weight loss procedure
- You should have no medical illnesses or conditions
- Discuss all of your cosmetic goals with Dr. Kutty and have realistic expectations about the procedure
- Because smoking can cause blood clots, you should be a non-smoker or be able to quit for a period of time before and after the procedure
- You should not be on, or be able to stop taking any blood-thinning substances before your procedure as they can cause bruising and increase bleeding. These may include alcohol, aspirin, and certain anti-inflammatory medications
- At our office, we use pure local anesthetic which is more cost-effective, provides patient comfort during the procedure, and has no after-effects
- You’ll be able to return home after the procedure with many patients being able to return to work after a few days if they wish
- It’s best to avoid strenuous activities for at least four to six weeks to ensure proper healing
- A compression garment must be worn for 24 hours a day for up to two weeks after the procedure and worn for 12 hours a day for the final three to four weeks of recovery
- Some results can be seen immediately but full results may take up to six months or more to be seen
Understanding the procedure and what you need to do after is critical to having a successful body contouring treatment like liposuction. One of the most important things to know is that you should have realistic expectations for this treatment. Dr. Kutty will outline what you can expect during your consultation and work with you to achieve your goals through every step of the procedure and after.
If you’re interested in liposuction or wish to learn more, please contact us by filling out the form on this page or calling us at 281-313-0551 for your initial consultation. We proudly provide services to those who live in and near Houston, Sugar Land, and Katy, Texas.