Our bodies come in many shapes and forms. Every person is unique in their own special way. Unfortunately, sometimes our bodies can be a little too different and cause us to have self-esteem issues or even social anxiety. This can be true for those who have larger-than-normal ears. While some people may not worry about such superficial concerns, it can be a real source of embarrassment for many. This is especially true for younger children who often have to deal with bullying in school. At Luxe Plastic Surgery, we offer otoplasty, or ear surgery, to help individuals with abnormally-shaped or sized ears.
If you or someone you love has issues with their ear and wants to learn more about otoplasty, please contact our office today by filling out the form on this page or by calling us at 281-313-0551 to schedule your consultation. We proudly provide plastic surgery services to those who live in and near Houston, Katy, and Sugar Land, Texas.
What is Otoplasty?
Otoplasty surgery is a procedure that can reshape and reposition the ears as well as make them more proportional. The surgery is used to give the ears a more natural shape which can restore balance and proportion to your head and face. Ear surgery can address aesthetic issues with the ears that were caused by:
- Birth defect
- Naturally large or protruding ears
Our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Malik Kutty understands how large or disfigured ears can cause emotional turmoil for many people, especially children. Dr. Kutty has seen children who’ve developed extreme anxiety of going to school from being bullied about the appearance of their ears. That’s why he works with his patients to understand their concerns and provide compassionate care to his work because plastic surgery is not just a way to look better but to feel better as well.
Candidates for Otoplasty
Because this surgery can be performed on children as well as adults, it’s important to understand the factors that determine one’s candidacy. At our office, we want every patient to have a safe procedure and we make sure to accomplish this by determining your candidacy in your comprehensive consultation. As with any surgery, it’s important to be in good overall health before undergoing the procedure. Dr. Kutty will go over your medical history as well as evaluate your current health to ensure the procedure is safe for you.
Candidacy requirements for children include:
- Good current health
- At least five years old for stable cartilage
- No life-threatening illnesses or conditions
- No untreated chronic ear infections
- Ability to communicate their opinions and understand the procedure
Candidacy requirements for teenagers and adults include:
- Good current overall health
- No life-threatening illnesses or conditions that affect healing
- Nonsmokers or those who can quit for a significant amount of time before, during, and after
- Those who understand the procedure and have realistic expectations
The Otoplasty Procedure
There are many different techniques that may be used to reshape disfigured ears from birth or to restore damaged ears. Every person looking to have ear surgery is unique in the structure and appearance of their ears and the outcomes they wish to achieve. Some patients may only require surgery on one ear because the other looks normal. Dr. Kutty will work with you to address your specific concerns and produce the results you desire.
During otoplasty, the cartilage of the ear is manipulated to restore the overall shape to a more normal appearance. This is done entirely with incisions behind the ear to hide them. This is done entirely with incisions behind the ear to hide the incisions so as not to add more visible cosmetic imperfections.
The procedure is generally completed as follows:
- Anesthesia: Your doctor will decide on the best anesthesia depending on the severity of the surgery, which may include local, general, or intravenous anesthesia.
- Incision: Incisions are made depending on the work needed for your ear correction. Incisions are generally placed in the back of the ear but if work is needed on the front of the ear they will be placed in the folds to minimize visibility.
- Incision closing: Generally, external stitches are used to close the incisions made during the procedure.
The results of the procedure can be seen immediately once the bandages are removed after the recovery period. Dr. Kutty will go over all pre- and post-operative instructions with you to help maximize your results.
Contact our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Today
If you or someone you love has cosmetic issues with their ears that causes them distress, please contact us today at 281-313-0551 to schedule your consultation. With decades of experience, Dr. Kutty can help you feel better about the way you look with his caring, professional approach. We help those who live in Houston, Sugar Land, and Katy, Texas.