Gynecomastia is a condition in which adult males experience an overdevelopment of breast tissue, giving the appearance of enlarged breasts. This embarrassing condition is the reason many men have gynecomastia surgery, also known as male breast reduction. In 2016, over 27,000 men in the U.S. had gynecosmastia surgery, according to numbers from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
If you believe you’re one of the thousands of men who suffer from gynecomastia, call Luxe Plastic Surgery today at 281-241-1041 to schedule your initial consultation. We proudly serve the areas of Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, and nearby areas of Texas.
What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecosmatia is often the result of adult men producing too much of the female hormone estrogen and too little of the male hormone testosterone. When this happens, the glandular tissue can grow and form an enlarged breast on one or both sides of the chest. This condition has been reported in children and young teens but usually goes away as the child reaches adulthood.
There can be many reasons why an adult male may have a hormonal imbalance—heredity, disease, or the use of certain drugs or medications. Some of the causes of gynecomastia include:
- Health problems: Various cancers such as lung and liver, kidney disease, or an overactive thyroid
- Hormone health: Cancer of the pituitary gland, adrenal gland, or testicles
- Getting older: Shifting hormone levels in middle-aged men or older may cause gynecomastia
- Drug and alcohol abuse: An increased risk can be caused by the regular use of alcohol, methamphetamines, heroin, or marijuana
- Certain medications: Some prescription drugs such as steroids, heart medicines, chemotherapy drugs, and anti-anxiety and antidepressant drugs can increase risk
- Gaining weight: Enlarges breasts can develope from weight gain
At Luxe Plastic Surgery, our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Malik Kutty understands the embarrassment you have regarding this condition. Beginning with your consultation, he’ll listen thoroughly to your concerns so that he can achieve your aesthetic goals. He’ll also evaluate your current health status and medical history to make sure this procedure will be safe and effective for your desired outcomes.
In general, after your consultation, male breast reduction surgery is as follows:
- The procedure takes 1-2 hours, and patients go home the same day
- In some cases, liposuction is used with surgical tissue removal or by itself to reshape the chest
- The incisions for the procedure are placed at the edge of the areola which camouflages them well
- Recovery is fast and normal activity can be resumed soon afterward
Please take a look at our before and after images to see the results from previous patients.
Candidates for Gynecomastia Surgery
As with any surgery or medical procedure, it’s important to know that not everyone is an ideal candidate. Due to certain health and lifestyle factors, not all who wish to have the surgery will be able. This is not intended to exclude anyone, but rather to make sure that the surgery is safe and effective for the individuals who wish to correct their appearance.
Good candidates for this surgery include men who:
- Are in good current health
- Are at or near an healthy weight
- Don’t have any severe illnesses
- Are not on medications that inhibit healing
- Have breast development which has stabilized
- Do not smoke or who can quit for a time before and after surgery
- Do not use drugs
- Can refrain from activity during the recovery period
- Understand the procedure and the potential outcomes
- Can follow all post-surgery instructions from your doctor
Contact an Experienced Gynecomastia Surgeon Today
At Luxe Plastic Surgery, our goal is to provide every patient with personalized care that aligns with your goals. With 20 years of experience, Dr. Kutty tailors a comprehensive plan to give you a safe and professional experience.
If you’re interested in learning more about gynecomastia surgery, contact us today by calling 281-241-1041, or online through the form on this page, to schedule a comprehensive consultation to discuss male breast reduction surgery. We proudly serve the areas of Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, and nearby areas of Texas.