Gynecomastia is a condition in which adult males experience an overdevelopment of breast tissue, giving the appearance of enlarged breasts. This embarrassing condition leads many men to seek gynecomastia surgery, also known as male breast reduction. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), 27,760 men underwent breast reduction surgery in 2016 in the U.S.
If you believe you’re one of the thousands of men who suffer from gynecomastia, call Luxe Plastic Surgery today at 281-241-1041 to schedule your initial consultation. We proudly serve the areas of Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, and nearby areas of Texas.
What is Gynecomastia?
This condition is generally the result of adult men producing too must estrogen (a female hormone) and too little testosterone (a male hormone). When this happens, swelling of the glandular tissue can occur, forming an enlarged breast on one or both sides of the chest. This has been known to happen in children and young teens but the condition usually corrects itself as the child reaches adulthood.
There can be many reasons why an adult male may have a hormonal imbalance—heredity, disease, or the use of certain drugs or medications. Some of the most common causes of gynecomastia include:
- Health issues: Lung or liver cancer, kidney disease, or having an overactive thyroid
- Hormone health: Cancer of the pituitary gland, adrenal gland, or testicles
- Aging: Middle-aged men or older may develop gynecomastia from a shift in hormone levels
- Substance abuse: Alcohol, methamphetamines, heroin, or marijuana may increase risk
- Medicines: Taking certain prescription drugs including steroids; ulcer, epilepsy, and heart medicines; chemotherapy and antiandrogen drugs; and anti-anxiety and antidepressant drugs
- Weight gain: Excess fat in the breasts due to gaining weight
At Luxe Plastic Surgery, our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Malik Kutty understands the embarrassment you have regarding this condition. Beginning with your consultation, he’ll listen thoroughly to your concerns so that he can achieve your aesthetic goals. He’ll also evaluate your current health status and medical history to make sure this procedure will be safe and effective for your desired outcomes.
In general, after your consultation, male breast reduction surgery is as follows:
- The procedure takes 1-2 hours, and patients go home the same day
- In some cases, liposuction is used with surgical tissue removal or by itself to reshape the chest
- The incisions for the procedure are placed at the edge of the areola which camouflages them well
- Recovery is fast and normal activity can be resumed soon afterward
In severe cases of gynecomastia, the weight of excess breast tissue may cause the breasts to sag and stretch the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple). In these cases, the position and size of the areola can be surgically improved and excess skin may need to be reduced.
Please take a look at our before and after images to see the results from previous patients.
Candidates for Gynecomastia Surgery
As with any surgery or medical procedure, it’s important to know that not everyone is an ideal candidate. Due to certain health and lifestyle factors, not all who wish to have the surgery will be able. This is not intended to exclude anyone, but rather to make sure that the surgery is safe and effective for the individuals who wish to correct their appearance.
Good candidates for gynecomastia surgery include men who:
- Are in good overall health
- Are at or near a relatively normal weight
- Don’t have any life-threatening illnesses
- Are not on medications that can impede healing
- Have breast development which has stabilized
- Do not smoke (or can quit for 6 weeks prior to and after the procedure)
- Do not use drugs
- Are able to limit physical activity after the procedure
- Have realistic expectations of the procedure and outcome
- Are willing to follow all post-operative instructions
Contact an Experienced Gynecomastia Surgeon Today
At Luxe Plastic Surgery, our goal is to provide every patient with personalized care that aligns with your goals. With 20 years of experience, Dr. Kutty tailors a comprehensive plan to give you a safe and professional experience.
If you’re interested in learning more about gynecomastia surgery and how it can help you, contact us today by calling 281-241-1041, or online through the form on this page, to schedule a comprehensive consultation to discuss male breast reduction surgery. We proudly serve the areas of Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, and nearby areas of Texas.